Central Processing Clerk
Company: waterbury health network
Posted on: May 26, 2023
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Processes patient specimens and prepares them for testing by the
Laboratory departments. This includes patient registration, test
ordering, labeling of specimens, centrifugation and preparing
specimens for the Laboratory departments.
- Enter patient registration information into HIS from paper
registration form or by direct interview of patient.
- Recognizes incomplete information on Laboratory requisitions
takes proper steps to resolve the problem.
- Processes orders for Laboratory testing using established order
entry procedures in HIS and/or LIS.
- Prioritizes processing of specimens and performs all aspects of
specimen handling, including labeling,
- Accessioning and centrifugation, according to established
procedures for the patient population served including neonate,
infant, child, adolescent, adult and older adult.
- Evaluates specimen integrity and correctly handles specimens to
expedite testing process. If previously trained as a phlebotomist,
maintains competency in phlebotomy for cross coverage
- Process specimens for reference laboratory testing for the
patient population served including neonate, infant, child,
adolescent, adult and older adult. Arrange for courier service as
needed. Enter and/or verify test results from reference laboratory
- Maintain work areas in a sanitary condition. Perform equipment
maintenance as scheduled. Follows
- Universal Precautions at all times.
- Answer phone inquiries regarding specimen collection and
handling and/or patient test results for the patient population
served including neonate, infant, child, adolescent, adult and
- Maintain a working knowledge of both HIS and LIS; including
downtime procedures for both computer systems.
- Promotes effective working relationships and works effectively
with coworkers to facilitate the departments
- ability to meet goals and objectives.
- Keeps current on advances in Laboratory Services. Participates
in and shares continuing education to maintain professional
development and competency for patient population served including:
neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- High School graduate
- Prior Laboratory experience preferred
- Phlebotomy skills helpful, but not required
- Must have basic computer skills and ability to access internet
and other programs applicable to Waterbury Hospital
- Perform automated functions that fall within job
- Ability to interact with internal an external customers with
tact and confidentiality
- Ability to adapt in a dynamic environment including exposure to
all patient elements, i.e. bloodborne pathogens, physical
requirements: lifting, and carrying supplies, standing, walking and
Keywords: waterbury health network, Waterbury , Central Processing Clerk, Other , Waterbury, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...